Thursday, February 23, 2012

Gluten Free Dairy Free Oreos

That's right!  Oreos! 


Usually when I tell people that I don't eat meat, dairy or wheat, I get a lot of funny looks.  And I will admit that when I first gave it all up, I thought I was restricted to a lot of fruits and vegetables and that was it.  I was determined to stick with it, but convinced I would never enjoy an ooey gooey chocolate chip cookie again.  Or that I would never be able to have another cupcake.  But, I couldn't have been more wrong.  There are so many great alternatives available to bake with.  And you can't tell a difference.

But, I digress...


Here is the recipe:


Gluten Free Dairy Free Oreos


Cookies:

1 1/4 cups all purpose gluten free flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate cocoa powder
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp room temperature unsalted dairy free margarine (I used Smart Balance Light)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Thoroughly mix flour, cocoa, sugar, baking soda, baking powder & salt.  While on low speed, add butter and then the egg.  Mix until the dough comes together.  Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.  Place rounded teaspoons of dough on the lined cookie sheets at least 2 inches apart.  



Flatten the dough with your hand or the back side of a spatula.  




Bake for 9 minutes.   


Filling:

1 Stick Crisco
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract (I prefer the almond, but either way is good)
3-5 Tbsp milk

Place Crisco in mixer and run on low speed until smooth.  Slowly add powdered sugar and vanilla/almond extract.  Add in milk one tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached.

Assembly:

Using an icing bag, place a small dollop of filling on flat side of one cookie in the center.  Place second cookie on top and press down slowly to evenly spread filling out to the edge.

Enjoy!












 
Stuff and Nonsense
 
504 Main

1 comment:

  1. These sound and look yummy! I am a vegetarian and am allergic to most dairy. I haven't gone gluten free quite yet...may be on the horizon though. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete